Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Broken anti-aliasing on Macbook Pro Retina
I use a Macbook Pro Retina 15" (Mid 2012), and FrameForge anti-aliasing has never worked. FF reports that my graphics does not support it, even though it certainly does.

Any of you have the same or similar machine with that issue? Were you able to solve it? I brought it up with support 4+ months ago with no solution so far.

Tired of jaggies.

Nvidia GT650m, OSX 10.11.3, GPU driver 10.8.14 310.42.15f01, CUDA driver 7.5.25
The problem is the Nvidia graphics card. If it is configured in such a way as to make on-screen antialiasing possible, then it makes our depth of field rendering crash, due to a driver bug. This bug was reported to Apple in July 2014, but as far as I know they have not made any attempt to fix it.

If you want antialiasing more than you want depth of field, there is a secret setting to make that possible. Go to your Mac's Utilities folder and open the Terminal application. At the command line, paste this command and press Return.

Code:
defaults write com.frameforge3d.frameforge3 DisableMultisampling -bool NO
[Image: JamesWSigFile.png]
Quote:The problem is the Nvidia graphics card. ...This bug was reported to Apple in July 2014
It would have been nice to hear this 4 months and 2 months ago when I was discussing this with FF support.
Quote:If you want antialiasing more than you want depth of field... paste this command
I tried this but it seems not to turn off DOF, but screw it up - random things out of focus. Seems like a non-starter unless there's a way to explicitly turn off DOF. Ultimately I would not turn off DOF to enable anti-aliasing.

Jaggies should be somewhat improved now that the live view window is bigger.
Sorry that information wasn't conveyed -- this is a pretty low level work-around and support may not have been aware of that bug report that had been submitted to Apple. We don't publicize this option normally, as it basically undoes the workaround required to make DOF work, as you saw.

Furthermore, in some cases undoing this workaround makes it actually crash if you try to use DOF so we only recommend that anyone use this if they never use the DOF function...
How widespread is the driver issue? Anyone know if the issues exist with the Nvidia web drivers for OS X?
Actually, I don't see a web driver anymore for my GPU - GT650M.