Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Unable to Attach Object to Curved Wall
So I am trying to attach a tree branch to a curved wall, the wall is serving as a curved green screen, and the bounding boxes for the wall and the tree branch will not allow the two items to touch. I tried breaking the restraints by lifting each from the ground, but it doesn't seem to help. Not sure what is going on.

I have a iMac 2011 (old), 3.4 Ghz Core i7 OS 10.11

By the way, the Belzier handles on the curved wall are really cool. Nice feature!
Hey now...I apologize in advance for answering your question with another question.

I don't have the tree branch model you are using nor do I know the wall dimensions and degree of curve on your green screen so I have to use my imagination a bit here but wouldn't some portion of the branch extend through the curve of the wall if you tried to attach the 2 objects together?
[Image: eocgWib.png]

Or am I missing something else?
[Image: c9Cuvhp.png]
As Chris says, our standard object library has no "tree branch" object, so we can't just try what you're trying. Giving an object a little elevation should let it intersect with anything.

Maybe your branch is like our "background trees", which are billboards that don't behave quite like 3-dimensional objects?
[Image: JamesWSigFile.png]
James & Chris,

Hmm. I'm wondering if that is the case. I'll try a different tree branch.

Yes, Chris, what you have demonstrated is pretty much what I am trying to do.

Gare
Again, I tried elevating the tree and the wall separately, but I still can't get them to intersect. I'm using an entire tree and then letting a branch stick out through the wall.
Have you tried something like this using one of the standard objects? If so, which one? It would really help if I could try exactly what you're trying.
Yeah I have tried it with the grass, I believe that is one of the standard objects, and I am still having the same problem. Would manipulating the Bezier handles have any effect on this?
No, there's no standard object named "grass". No, I don't think that using the Bezier handles would affect this.

How about this: Make a project file with a curved wall and some object that won't attach to it. Use File > Export... > Nonstandard Objects & Textures to make a cpack file to go along with it. And send both files to me by private e-mail.
Okay. Will do.
You are right, non-standard objects do not intersect with curved walls; matter of fact, NSO do not intersect with any of the walls. I don't know why it shouldn't. Anyway, I will sent you a file and a NSO c-pack.

Perhaps if I made a cube into a wall, NSO might then be able to intersect.
We finished the discussion in private e-mail, but for any observers, here was the resolution:

If you float an object up in the air with a positive elevation, then FrameForge allows it to intersect anything. But if you give an object a negative elevation, it intersects with the ground but not other objects. (We were thinking of boats as a case where you'd want that behavior.) The tree branch that Banksyde was trying to intersect with a wall had a negative elevation. The solution was to temporarily turn off collision detection (Tools > Disable Collision Checking), move the branch into place, and re-enable collision detection.