Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Movie set for a matte painting
At the Wikiversity Film School, students work on a very short motion picture called "Seduced by the Dark Side!". The movie takes place outside a movie theater.

The story is simple. After seeing the motion picture "Star Wars", a young person asks an older person, "How can anyone be seduced by the dark side?" The older person explains this to the young person by giving him a useful example.

Currently, the students are working on pre-production (including storyboarding with FrameForge 3D Studio.)

Later, the movie will be filmed... but NOT in front of a theater. Instead the theater will be created with a matte painting. We cannot afford to fly to the most fabulous motion picture theater in the world and do the filming there. Instead, the students will paint the most fabulous movie theater in the world in the area where the actors are not.

This means that we can film our movie almost anywhere. All we need is a blank wall which is 3 meters high and at least 10 meters long.

Therefore, I have created a simple movie set which matches these requirements. It is simply a wall with lots of movie posters hanging on the wall. Students can change the color of the wall.

Attached is the basic movie set consisting of one wall, one building block which is the sidewalk and six picture frames containing the movie poster.

The movie poster is also attached. Students can substitute their own movie poster for the movie "Star Wars" which is a key element in the story.

Download the movie set and the texture for the movie poster. Tell me what you think? Can you create this storyboard (as an example for our students?)

Join in the fun. It is free! (<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://en.wikiversity.org/wiki/Lesson:3D_Storyboard">http://en.wikiversity.org/wiki/Lesson:3D_Storyboard</a><!-- m -->)

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

.set   SBTDS Movie Set.set (Size: 1.9 KB / Downloads: 202)
Here is a storyboard using this movie set. I used my own movie poster (texture) instead of the movie poster texture in the original model which was created by one of the students.

Notice that in all shots showing movie posters in the background have many movie posters. To do this, I moved the shooting location for half of the shots from one end of the wall to the other so that posters would always be visible. It is a cheap trick but it works!

The last two shots will use a matte painting. The image captured on the movie set will just be as shown. Then the matte painting will be added all around the actual movie set so that the shot will become a dolly-out shot to eventually show the entire (imaginary) theater with two people walking in the front of the theater.

This is the entire motion picture. It is very short yet it tells a complete story. That is why this short movie is a good practice exercise for people wanting to practice with FrameForge 3D Studio. Give it a try.

The class at Wikiversity is free and you don't have to start at the beginning. Just create your version of this storyboard and send me the previs (cross platform) file.

Here is an example of a matte painting used with a frame of a shot created in FrameForge 3D Studio.

The student created his own movie set which is just a simple wall. Then, for the last shot, the student created a matte painting to go around the actual movie set.

The student is from Cairo, Egypt so he wanted to create a scene (and original movie poster) which matched the tiny cinemas and wide framed movie posters seen in his home city.

Look at the two pictures. In the matte painting, you can easily see what is the original frame from FrameForge 3D Studio and what is just a painting yet they look natural together.

Creating a movie set for a matte painting involves a combination of practical set design geometry dash lite and post-production techniques. Matte paintings are often used to extend or enhance the background of a scene, providing a seamless blend between the physical set and the painted elements.