FrameForge Storyboard Studio Forums
Export video settings not saved. - Printable Version

+- FrameForge Storyboard Studio Forums (https://forum.frameforge.com)
+-- Forum: FrameForge Previz Studio Discussions (https://forum.frameforge.com/forum-4.html)
+--- Forum: Suggestions & Wish List (https://forum.frameforge.com/forum-14.html)
+--- Thread: Export video settings not saved. (/thread-4069.html)

Export video settings not saved. - stevefal - 04-24-2016

When exporting video, the frame rate always comes up at a factory default. If I change it to, say, 24fps and export, next time I go to export, it's at 60fps again. Need to set 24fps every time.

Likewise the custom size of exported video associated with the chosen codec is not saved. I have to re-set it every time.

It would be nice if these settings were either saved for the project, or became the new default.

FF 3.6.0.17, MacOS

Re: Export video settings not saved. - jamesw - 04-25-2016

stevefal Wrote:When exporting video, the frame rate always comes up at a factory default. If I change it to, say, 24fps and export, next time I go to export, it's at 60fps again. Need to set 24fps every time.

I assume you are talking about the "Movie Settings" dialog brought up by clicking the "Export Settings" dialog in the "Export Movies or Animatics" dialog. You should rarely need to touch that. (Hence the hint alert that appears when you click the button, suggesting that you leave the defaults alone.) In particular, the "frame rate" setting does not need to match the frame rate of your tweens, and anyway QuickTime movies do not actually record full images at a fixed number of times a second. I think the main reason we try not to have it below 60 is so that if you choose to mark frames continuous, then the resulting dissolve transitions will look smooth.

stevefal Wrote:Likewise the custom size of exported video associated with the chosen codec is not saved. I have to re-set it every time.

It would be nice if these settings were either saved for the project, or became the new default.

I guess that here, too, you are talking about the "Movie Settings" dialog. You should ignore the dimensions shown there. (This dialog is provided by QuickTime, not FrameForge, so we can't edit out the parts we don't want.) Just select the "Other Size" radio button in the main movie export dialog, and when you are ready to export, it will ask you the specific size. The size you enter is saved, so that the next time you can just click OK.

Re: Export video settings not saved. - stevefal - 04-25-2016

I now understand that Custom export size overrides the codec size settings. Thanks.

I understand that FF transcodes the tween stream to the record format, resulting in duplicate frames when the former is slower.

The reason I want to control the record framerate is that I don't want unintended pulldown artifacts. My output is being edited at 24fps, so there's no reason for 60fps. I'd like to render at 24fps, or for pseudo motion blur, export twice the tweens at 48fps and play back at 2X.

Choice of codec is being saved (I use ProRes 422HQ). I'm glad for that. My wish is that framerate would also be saved, or framerate be provided as a (saved) override, like export size.