Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Green Room: part names wrong
Part names are sometimes wrong. For example if you put a man in pajamas (straight leg), that part shows up as "dress pants" in the Colors/etc Part Name dropdown. Pajamas (baggy legs) shows up as "baggy pants".
I can see where that might be a little confusing, but there is a reason for it. If you look closely, you may notice that the "suit pants" and "pajamas (straight leg)" produce pants with the exact same geometry, just different default textures. The name of that common geometry happens to be "dress pants". Similarly, the "pajamas (baggy legs)" and "baggy pants" choices of pants share a common geometry.

While looking with this, I discovered a more serious bug: Putting the man in "pajamas (straight leg)" and then back to "suit pants" left him with pants with the pajamas texture. I'll fix that one.
[Image: JamesWSigFile.png]
Oh man, that's a reason only a developer could love. Calling pajamas "dress pants" is not a little confusing. It's incomprehensible to a user and just looks like a mistake.

All that aside it makes it hard to use! If I select "pajamas" for "Pants", when I go to the Color page, it should show up as either "pajamas" or "pants". Any other name is only right by rationalization.

Ideally it should just be "pants" - as in the thing on the legs. Making it more specific, including with common-geometry based perversions, is trying too hard to the detriment of the user.

If you don't believe me, put it in front of some users, give them a task, and watch what happens.
FrameForge for Mac version 3.6.0.16, now available, shows "pants" instead of "dress pants" on the colorable part menu.
[Image: JamesWSigFile.png]
I see that happening. I also see that some pants show up with their more specific name. That's still confusing to me, especially in that depending on the name, the item sorts differently in the dropdown. I have to remember what it was called to know where to look for it alphabetically. I still would prefer that all pants are just called "pants". That would always be the same word in the same relative place.

-BUT-

I see that I can now click on the actor to select clothing. THANK YOU! I'm assuming I'll never (or rarely) need to use the dropdown anymore. That makes the issue above less important to me.

Thanks again.