Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pen and Pad Desket
Here's a Pen and Pad Deskset which can be used for an office desk or any other desk for that matter..

There's no relationships or Poses for it, you'll need to make these yourselves. The object have been resized to a sensible size in relation to both the characters and the various desks included with FrameForge.

Maybe it'll come in useful..

Enjoy..

Kevan

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

.uzp   Pen And Pad Deskset.uzp (Size: 278.76 KB / Downloads: 114)
Kevan Wrote:Here's a Pen and Pad Deskset which can be used for an office desk or any other desk for that matter..

There's no relationships or Poses for it, you'll need to make these yourselves. The object have been resized to a sensible size in relation to both the characters and the various desks included with FrameForge.

Maybe it'll come in useful..

Enjoy..

Kevan

Very nice work and we really thank you for sharing. You definitely have a lot of skill with modeling, but you still need to think lower polygon.

For example, the balls of the pen holders are perfectly smooth, the pens are fully modeled (including polygons which will NEVER be seen inside the pen holders) the pen holders themselves contain polygons both inside and out and so on.

Since the pen holders are basically set dressing, there is really no need to spend any more than the minimal resources on them because they're going to be so small in the frame that any roughness to them will be fairly invisible.

I was able to drop the polycount from about 3,700 down to 1,500 polygons with virtually no loss in look except in extreme close-up.

(On another note, I've noticed on a number of your models a several hundred polygon sphere that doesn't seem to really be part of the model and which I was able to remove with apparent visual effect)

Secondly, our goal is to make objects that are as flexible as possible, as such, it (A) makes the most sense to have the desk pad and pen set as separate objects (with a user object that combines the two) and B) to make it have optional parts so the pens can be removed (e.g. not present) and the pen holders rotated & tilted

I did this to the optimized version to show you what kind of additional things can be done. There is a section on hinging/making optional parts
in the user manual that you might want to look at.

Finally, you might want to consider giving the parts more user friendly names as that always helps if you want change a part's color or the like.

I sincerely hope you'll take this info/advice in the intent that it was given: to make your excellent modelling even more powerful and useful both to yourself and other FrameForge users.

Thanks again!

Attached Files
.uzp   Desk Set (Pen And Pad).uzp (Size: 2.84 KB / Downloads: 35)
.3dxf   deskpad.3dxf (Size: 169.27 KB / Downloads: 33)
.3dxf   Pen Deskset.3dxf (Size: 121.13 KB / Downloads: 32)
Hey, thanks for sorting out the polycount and for making some of the parts separate so they can be used properly in FrameForge.

I'm still learning about 3D, modeling and texturing and need to get my head around producing low poly models, naming separate parts with logical names so those parts can be hinged, be removable and textured/colored separately.. I'm also trying to learn texturing and maps too..

Maybe I shouldn't convert to FBX format from 3DS Max and then run it through the FBX to FrameForge Converter utility because then I'm bypassing the correct procedure of producing a low-polygoned model in the first place..

Just time is all, I intend to crack this.. I feel the more models for FrameForge the better for storyboarding..

I take your suggestions as good advice, I'll maybe purchase a good book on 3D modeling to improve what I'm doing.

But I appreciate you doing this for me..

Thanks, and for your advice too Smile

Kevan
Kevan Wrote:Hey, thanks for sorting out the polycount and for making some of the parts separate so they can be used properly in FrameForge.

I'm still learning about 3D, modeling and texturing and need to get my head around producing low poly models, naming separate parts with logical names so those parts can be hinged, be removable and textured/colored separately... I'm also trying to learn texturing and maps too..

Maybe I shouldn't convert to FBX format from 3DS Max and then run it through the FBX to FrameForge Converter utility because then I'm bypassing the correct procedure of producing a low-polygoned model in the first place.

FBX is really only for rigged characters, the VRML format allows you to very easily defihe hinges, sliders and optional parts -- in the frameforge folder there is a subfolder Object Creation which has a file explaining how to go about doing it along with some axis objects.

Kevan Wrote:Just time is all, I intend to crack this. I feel the more models for FrameForge the better for storyboarding.

We absolutely agree and really appreciate you sharing your hard work. We've given free upgrades to people whose objects we've included into our base object library and you certainly have some contenders.

Kevan Wrote:I take your suggestions as good advice, I'll maybe purchase a good book on 3D modeling to improve what I'm doing.

Make sure it is labeled as LOW POLYGON or GAME MODELING as otherwise they'll give you great instructions for creating beautiful print resolution models.