Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dolly Zoom
It would be handy if FF were to support Dolly Zoom. Dolly Zoom would simultaneously dolly in/out while zooming out/in, according to the current focus distance, in order to change perspective while keeping the focused subject the same size.

This would help quickly answer questions like, "How would this look with a 50mm?", or "Which lens will get that window out of view?"

It would also help previz moving dolly-zoom shots.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dolly_zoom">https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dolly_zoom</a><!-- m -->
I'm probably out of order for responding this suggestion. So, please excuse my impulsive nature.

You can do a dolly zoom in FrameForge. Its just not automatic. You have to set it up. Like in real life, it takes a little time.

For me, the second sentence is confusing. I'm not sure what you mean.

An out-of-line FrameForger
Quote:For me, the second sentence is confusing. I'm not sure what you mean.
I mean that an automatic dolly-zoom mode would make it easy to alter perspective while keeping effective magnification constant. That would make it easier to try different lenses.

Perspective determines how much of the background appears in a shot. Hence auto dolly-zoom would make it easy to figure out which lens will get a certain look, or include/omit a given background feature.

I realize a dolly-zoom can be set up manually, but my point is that a software feature would make it easier. For me, the value is more about quickly choosing lens focal lengths than previzzing moving dolly-zoom shots.

The latter would make for a cool demo though.
Uh. An auto dolly zoom feature?

Usually, when you automate a function in an application, it is because you frequently use that operation. Do you plan on having a dolly/zoom shot in every one of your movies?

Look I don't mean to pick on you.

The reason I bring this up is because I think that there are a number of other features that would be far more useful and used more frequently. For instance, higher polygon counts, so you can put more stuff in a scene and not have your computer crash. Or, live V-ray lighting, so you can have bounce and reflected light.
Quote:Do you plan on having a dolly/zoom shot in every one of your movies?
No, I already explained how I would use it.